Animal Care Resources

All research involving animals, including field research, needs to be reviewed and approved by the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee. If you will be doing research with animals on campus, the Animal Care Facility at CSU provides veterinary medical care, animal housing and husbandry, and education and training opportunities.

Institutional Animal Care & Use Committee

The Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) at CSU is dedicated to the humane and ethical care of animals used in research and teaching. The IACUC reviews and regulates the use of animals for research and teaching at CSU. If you are planning to use animals in your research, including field research, you will need to submitte an application to IACUC well in advance of the start of your research. Applications are typically reviewed the second Tuesday of each month, but your application should be in the IACUC office at least one week prior to the review date. No research involving animals may be started without IACUC approval.

Colorado Division of Wildlife Scientific Collection Permits

If you will be conducting field research that involves wild animals in the state of Colorado, you will need to obtain a Scientific Collection Permit from the Colorado Division of Wildlife. Applications must be submitted at least 45 days prior to the start of your research. In order to allow for delays in processing, including addressing any questions about your application, you should submit your application well in advance (at least 2 months) prior to when you anticipate starting your field season. You will need to submit an annual report, and reapply for a Scientific Collection Permit every year that you anticipate doing research that involves wild animals in Colorado.