Apply to GDPE
Thank you for your interest in GDPE!
If you are a currently enrolled graduate student at CSU and are interested in transferring into GDPE, please see the details at the bottom of this page.
Before You Apply
- Identify GDPE faculty advisors who share your research interests.
- Contact these faculty to express your interest in joining their lab and having them potentially serve as your advisor (here’s a helpful article on how to do this).
- Explore funding opportunities with potential advisor(s) and the Graduate School
- Apply here.
Preferred Application Deadlines
To start in Fall: January 15
To start in Spring: November 1
Applications are open one year in advance of desired start term.
- Bachelor’s degree in any of the agricultural, anthropological, biological, biochemical, mathematical, or physical sciences from an accredited college or university
- Undergraduate GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- GRE scores are not required for admittance to the GDPE program (check with your prospective advisor for any specific requirements they may have)
- Three letters of recommendation
- A statement of purpose (please limit this to no more than 2 pages; here’s some good advice on how to prepare your statement)
- Confirmation from a GDPE faculty member that they will serve as your advisor (Students can still apply without a confirmed advisor, but cannot be admitted until we receive a letter of commitment from that advisor.)
- Successful completion of at least one course in Statistics and one course in Ecology
- An average GPA of 3.5 on a 4.0 scale
- Demonstrated evidence of scientific productivity (particularly PhD students)
- Articulated evidence of leadership qualities
Submit Application Materials
Enter reference contact information into your application. Your references will be emailed after you complete the necessary steps.
- To submit official transcripts, contact your previous institutions to request submission of official transcripts to Colorado State University (Institution Code 4075)
- To submit electronic test scores and transcripts, contact the institution and send to Colorado State University (Institution Code 4075; email firstname.lastname@example.org)
- For any documents that cannot be uploaded, submit paper copies directly to Graduate Admissions. Do NOT send transcripts, test scores, or letters of recommendation to GDPE; it will delay your application.
Interdepartmental Transfer Students
If you are a currently enrolled graduate student at CSU who is interested in transferring into the GDPE, please follow these steps:
- Contact the GDPE Assistant Director (Dr. Jennifer Neuwald) to discuss your interest.
- Submit an application to transfer into GDPE.
- Have you advisor communicate their support for your transfer to the Assistant Director and submit a letter of commitment.
- Your original application materials in SLATE and your current CSU transcript will be reviewed (no need to submit any new materials).
- Upon approval, you will complete the GS7 – Change in Department form. Note: site codes and program codes can be found on the GDPE Forms webpage. If you are transferring prior to receiving your degree from your original department, please mark the 1st box under “select one.”